Master the skills needed to plan events and provide meeting services at UC Berkeley. Save time and money through better campus knowledge and increased efficiencies. The focus of this class is development events.
- Who Should Attend
- What You Will Cover
- Registration Fee & Payment
- Parking & Transportation
- Seminar Leaders
- For More Information
- Session I — Thursday, June 6, 2019
Bancroft Hotel 8:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Session II — Thursday, June 20, 2019
Berkeley Hillel & The Graduate Berkeley Hotel 8:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Session III — Thursday, June 27, 2019
International House 8:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Session IV — Tuesday, July 2, 2019
DoubleTree 8:30 am — 1:30 p.m.
Certificates will be issued to participants who attend all four sessions. This course will be offered next year, so if you cannot make all four sessions, please wait until the next session.
Who Should Attend
UC Berkeley staff members that are responsible for planning events for their unit. Seasoned veterans will pick up new tips and have an opportunity to network with other experienced planners. People new to event planning will get a crash course in tools and resources that have taken other planners years to accumulate.
What You Will Cover
- Setting event goals and objectives
- Calendaring dates
- Using checklists and timelines
- Selecting sites on and off campus
- Identifying various types of room setups
- Understanding food and beverage options
- Ordering audio/visual services
- Arranging parking and transportation services
- Working with physical plant (custodial, electrical, recycling)
- Exploring entertainment options
- Arranging for Visitor Services tours
- Promoting your event with invitations, media relations, posters, mailings, web site, etc.
- Understanding campus policies
- Creating staffing flows
- Writing briefing memos
- Making proper nametags
- Understanding academic traditions
- Using proper protocol
- Earning green event certification
- Exploring professional development options
- Ensuring appropriate accessibility and accommodations
- Evaluating your event
- And much, much more!
*Applications are due May 17*
Due to limited space, applications from staff members with current development event planning responsibilities will take precedence. Apply to the program
We will notify you of your registration status by May 20, 2019.
Registration Fee & Payments
Registration is $75 per person. It covers handouts, breakfast, and lunch for all four sessions.
Please provide a chart string number with your application.
The seminar leaders are experienced event planners from the External Relations team. There will also be many guest speakers from across campus.
Casual business attire is appropriate. Please note that room temperatures may vary so you may want to dress in layers.
For More InformationHelena Weiss-Duman
Deputy Director, External Relations & Advancement Marketing Communications